top of page

This 1972 hardback is in very good condition. It is flat signed by Stanley Vincent and has been enhanced by an original pencil drawing of Vincent by Steve Teasdale. Stanley Vincent is the only man to have shot down enemy aircraft from a single seat fighter in both World Wars. He flew in the Battle of Britain whilst commanding RAF Northolt. We have never seen a signed copy of this rare book and his signature is a rare inclusion in any Battle of Britain collection as he passed away only 4 years after the publication of the book.

Vincent carried out training at Beaulieu and CFS Upavon before joining 60 Squadron at its formation at Gosport on 30th April 1916.

The squadron went to France on 5th May. Vincent claimed the squadron's first victory, shooting down an LVG two-seater in July. When he returned to England on 17th March 1917, Vincent had destroyed three enemy aircraft, probably three more and had received two Mentions in Despatches.

He was appointed a Flight Commander at the Instructor's School at Gosport. In late April 1917 Vincent was in a crash which put him in hospital for seven months.

In early 1918 he was given command of 110 Squadron. Later in the year Vincent formed the Special Instructor's Flight at Shoreham. In November the Flight was disbanded and he was awarded the AFC (gazetted 1st January 1919) for his work.

Vincent went to 24 Squadron at Croydon to give ex-PoWs refresher courses. Whilst there, he taught the Prince of Wales to fly.

March 1940 Vincent returned to Northolt, as Station Commander. During July he flew occasional operational sorties with 257 Squadron. Flying with 229 Squadron on 30th September, he claimed two Me109's destroyed.

Vincent also flew on sorties alone and claimed that he had shot down five Do17's but these could not be confirmed.

He was awarded the DFC (gazetted 25th October 1940).

In March 1941 he moved to command RAF North Weald and in July went to HQ 11 Group as Group Captain Ops.

In late 1941 Vincent was posted to HQ Fighter Command. In January 1942 he flew out to Singapore but was evacuated to Sumatra when the Japanese invaded. When operations against the Japanese ceased he flew to Australia, later going to New Zealand and then the USA, arriving back in the UK in early 1943. Vincent was posted to the Operations Room at Fighter Command, moving after five months to HQ 13 Group.

V Scarce Signed & Remarqued WW1 & Battle of Britain Account

    bottom of page