top of page
This is a specially produced bookplate on sepia recycled card. It features an original pencil drawing with white highlights of John Hamar Hill by Steve Teasdale. Mounted underneath the drawing is the genuine signature of Johnnie Hill.
Thebookplate is roughly 20 x 13 cm in size and would fit most books on the Battle of Britain.

Hill joined 87 Squadron on 17th November 1939 as CO. On 26th February 1940 Hill was posted away to take command of 81 Squadron at Amiens-Mountjoie, where it was flying Tiger Moths on communications duties. He joined the squadron on 5th March, remaining with it only until 16th May 1940 when he took command of 504 Squadron at Lille-Marcq.
On the 19th he was shot down by a Me110 in Hurricane I P3351 and baled out. Within a few hundred feet of the ground he was fired on by French peasants with shotguns. After landing he was able to convince them that he was not German. As he was about to be driven away in a French Air Force car, a British Army patrol arrived and he was arrested as a fifth columnist.

Reaching for his identity card Hill was fired on by one of the British soldiers. When he ducked below the windscreen, all the others fired. Hill rolled out of the car into a ditch and when firing had ceased he convinced the officer-in-charge of his identity. Having seen all this the French peasants were sure that Hill was a German. They beat him savagely, rendering him unconscious while the soldiers stood by and watched.

He came to with his head in the lap of a French Air Force officer, a man he had known in Rouen. The shamefaced peasants tried to make amends, the Army then re-appeared and again tried to arrest him, unsuccessfully.

Hill was evacuated from Lille by ambulance train. En route, between Le Touquet and Boulogne, Ju87s dive-bombed it and the driver and fireman fled. Hill and another officer finally mastered the engine's controls and drove the train to Boulogne.
Evacuated from Dunkirk, Hill landed at Dover and was put on to an ambulance train. When he asked the engine driver to change some French francs, so that he could telephone his wife, he was again arrested as a fifth columnist. Fortunately a Wing Commander that he knew came along and he was released.

Hill was at No. 1 RAF Depot Uxbridge in July, to await a posting. He was given command of 222 Squadron at Kirton-in-Lindsey on 31st July 1940 and he joined the squadron on 5th August.

He damaged a Me109 on 30th August, claimed a Me109 destroyed on 1st September and probably destroyed a Me110 on the 3rd.

Johnnie Hill 222 Sqn C/O Battle of Britain signed Original Drawing Bookplate

    bottom of page