top of page
This is a specially produced glossy bookplate bearing the original signature of Battle of Britain Hurricane Ace John Gibson of 501 Sqn.
He was posted to No. 1 RAF Depot at Uxbridge on 20th May 1940 for onward movement to France.
Gibson joined 501 Squadron at Anglure on 21st May. He destroyed a He111 and shared a second on 27th May, during which action he was himself shot down, crash-landing in a field near Rouen and having to abandon his Hurricane.
On the 29th he got a probable He111, on the 30th shot down a He111 and damaged another, on 4th June damaged another and on the 5th probably destroyed a He111 and damaged another.
On the 10th Gibson destroyed a Me109 but was himself shot down and baled out near Le Mans. His final success in France was a Me109, possibly shot down on the 14th. 501 Squadron was withdrawn from France on 18th June, operated from Jersey on the 19th and re-assembled at Croydon on 21st June.
Gibson claimed a He111 damaged on 9th July, a Do17 destroyed on the 13th, a Ju87 destroyed and another damaged on the 29th and a Do17 damaged on the 31st. He destroyed a Ju87, damaged another and destroyed a Me109 on 12th August. When he landed back at Hawkinge, Gibson ran his Hurricane, P2986, into a bomb crater.
On the 15th he shot down a Ju87 and damaged another. In this action, Gibson's Hurricane, P3582, was set alight by return fire. He steered it away from Folkestone, bringing it down to 1000 feet before baling out.
On 24th August Gibson destroyed a Ju88. On 25th August he was appointed 'A' Flight Commander and promoted to Acting Flight Lieutenant next day.
On the 28th he damaged a Me109 and on the 29th he shot down a Me109. In this combat he was again set on fire and baled out of Hurricane P3102 over the sea, two miles offshore, and was picked up by a motor boat.
Gibson was awarded the DFC (gazetted 30th August 1940).
He damaged a Do17 on 2nd September, shot down a Me109 on the 6th and damaged another on the 7th. His last operational sortie with 501 was on 23rd September. The following day he evidently became ill and was admitted to Princess Marys RAF Hospital at Halton.

He was posted away from 501 on 2nd October 1940.

Battle of Britain Hurricane Ace John Gibson Signed Bookplate

    bottom of page